Monday, January 7, 2008

An Expensive Lesson

Three days after I arrived from Saudi Arabia on October 16, 2007, I went to the Handyman's in Farmers Plaza at the Araneta Center in Cubao, Quezon City. Since there was not enough space in my condo studio unit, I decided to buy wooden shelves for my kitchenware and a plastic shelf for my shoes.

I took the MRT bound for Pasay-Taft at the Araneta Center. The moment the door of the MRT train was closed, there was pushing and shoving among the packed passengers. Moments later, I discovered that my wallet, placed at the back pocket of my pants, was gone. When I reached Ortigas, I got off to report the loss of my ATM cards at the nearest branch of the BPI, RCBC, PNB and Equitable-PCI Bank.

I was rudely awakened. This was no longer Saudi Arabia but the Philippines. I should have been wary of pickpocketers. But being gone for two years, I tended to view life in the Philippines through a rose-colored window. Petty thieves were farthest on my mind. I felt very disappointed that this thing could still happen in my own country. It was an expensive lesson indeed.

No comments: